The Lynnwood Event Center is committed to reducing our environmental impact and driving business value, and we believe that our broad venue network and deep guest engagement uniquely position us to raise public awareness about environmental sustainability issues.
Snohomish County’s Zero Waste goal is to divert 100% of waste generated from ever reaching the landfill through increased recycling, composting, and waste reduction by 2025. The Lynnwood Event Center has a Greening Committee to focus on how to move forward with this initiative. Below are steps that have been taken to date to continue greening events.
- Menu management – Monitoring orders, conscientious of what is needed for the week to get as much use out of an item as possible; no stockpiling of food to keep food costs down and reduce waste; monitoring plates/pans of food to evaluate waste, as well as quality, as they return to the kitchen.
- Use of only compostable and china for service ware.
- Buying locally sourced food and wine for our menus.
- Discontinuing use of plastic straws.
- Use of reusable Bento Boxes for serving packaged meals rather than disposable vessels.
- Composting bins in place throughout the building.
- No bottled water – use of water urns and pitchers, as well as water bubblers/dispensers, in all meeting spaces.
- Use of “green” chemicals whenever possible for janitorial supplies within the kitchen and throughout the building.
- Use of electronic signatures for client contracts and other guest and internal paperwork.
- Electronic pay stubs.
- LED lighting throughout the building and parking lot.
- Adjusting lighting levels based on business and event needs.
- HVAC – scheduling HVAC levels based on business and event calendar.
- Battery recycling program.
- Electric charging stations for vehicles in parking area.
- Bike racks.
- Use of low-flow and sensored faucets in restrooms.